Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Duck, Duck, Ducklings?

As you've seen from the last post, the ducks from the pond have laid eggs in the front yard behind a bush.  We are sooo excited!  We first noticed the eggs on the 13th, but not sure how long they have actually been there. 


Cate loves to tease the ducks



We've been doing some research and have read that it normally takes eggs 28 days to hatch.  We have been counting down the days since we noticed them and today makes  number 13.
Cate wants to put them under her pillow to keep them warm until they hatch. lol.





The three ducks have actually been around the pond for a while. We were wondering if they are the three babies that we used to feed years ago and maybe they had come back.  You know, because they love us so much.










However, we can't figure the ducks out. A couple of days after we noticed the eggs, two of them were pushed out of the next. We read that ducks would do that if the eggs were bad. Well about 3 days later, the eggs were back in the nest. We hadn't touched them and I thought that was kind of odd.








Then, the duck separated the eggs again. They looked like this. I don't know if that means all these are bad or that there are just too many in the nest. I've counted 20 eggs in all.   If they all hatch, that is going to be a lot of babies!









Today, they are all back in the next. I'm thinking that maybe there are just too many to sit on at one time now.




We just let them be. We're very curious though and the kids want to do all kinds of research on ducks. Win. Win. Learning up close and personal.  I'm hoping that we get to see them hatch or at least I can record it if the kids aren't here. Until then, I think I'm kind of looking forward to being a grandparent...this kind anyway! 

2 comments:

  1. So good to see you back!! Ummmmmmmm....so I read this post and was overwhelmed by how invested I am in these ducks...is it nesting syndrome!!? LOL

    All I could think about was, "Man, I really hope she posts updates about the ducks. I want like a video of the ducks hatching." My thoughts are bordering on unhealthy about these ducks and future chicks. i wanna be all up in the business with these ducks. You're so lucky you get to live around nature...what a dream! And yes, I totally believe these are the VERY SAME ducks you all knew way back when. And also, this is such a perfect learning experience for the kiddies!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It must be that maternal instinct. LOL. I started feeling the same way when I noticed the eggs, like I should be doing something! I have to admit I check them daily and am always trying to make sure everything is okay.
      Nature is so amazing. I would love to live out in the country one day on a couple of acres. Hopefully, one day.

      Delete